NOTABLE DATES IN THE HISTORY OF THE IMPERIAL SOCIETY
1908 - Foundation of the Society of Knights Bachelor at a meeting held at 31 Essex Street, Strand on 27th April. Constitution, regulations and bye-laws adopted.
1909 - Letter dated 20th March 1909 received from the Home Office officially recognising the Society.
1910 - Petition for Royal Warrant first mooted, not pursued as too few members in the Society and no permanent abode.
1911 - The Company of Knights Ltd formed to purchase Clifford's Inn as a permanent home for the Society.
1912 - Royal assent given by HM King George V for the Society to be called The Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor. Proposal adopted that a Knights' Benevolent Fund be formed to provide for impoverished dependents of deceased Knights.
1914 - First design for the Insignia of The Society adopted as follows: ‘Azure (blue) a Knight's helm proper plumed with three feathers Gules (red) Argent (silver) and the first between two spurs Or' (gold).
1917 - Resolution to petition for a grant of arms on a second design for Insignia of The Society as follows: ‘A golden spur on a red enamel ground surrounded by a green wreath of laurel or a silver star'.
1918 - Funds for the Company of Knights Ltd not being forthcoming and Clifford's Inn occupied by the Army, offices were established at 2 Mitre Court, The Temple.
1919 - The Company of Knights Ltd wound up.
1926 - Authority given by Royal Warrant, dated 21st April, HM King George V for a breast badge to be worn.
1927 - Lease of chambers of 21 Old Buildings, Lincoln 's Inn taken as offices.
1932 - No action having been taken on the formation of a Knights' Benevolent Fund, the proposal was rescinded.
1933 - An alternative smaller Breast Badge authorised by Royal Warrant.
1939 - Proposal made for a Knights Bachelor Chapel.
1962 - Amendment to Regulations of Constitution. Decision taken to have Knights Bachelor Chapel at St Bartholomew-the-Great. Service attended by HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, followed by a reception at St James's Palace.
1971 - Grant of Arms to the Society made by the Kings of Arms and recorded in HM College of Arms.
1973 - Extension of Insignia for Knights Bachelor granted by Royal Warrant of HM The Queen, by inclusion of neck badge and ribbon, with miniature also.
1975 - HM The Queen granted her Patronage to The Imperial Society. The New Zealand Government, with the approval of HM The Queen, agreed to meet the cost of life membership for New Zealand Knights Bachelor. New robes for Council taken into use.
1977 - Chapel Charity name changed to The Knights Bachelor Foundation, with broader objectives.
1978 - The Lady's brooch instituted, exclusive to families of members of the Society.
1980 - HM The Queen honoured the Society by her presence at a reception at Goldsmiths' Hall. Organ Appeal Fund launched, originally to be a memorial to Sir John Russell.
1985 - HRH The Princess Royal honoured the Society with her presence at the Annual Service, followed by a reception at St Bartholomew's Hospital. Appointment of first Honorary Deputy Knight Principal.
1986 - Decision made not to petition for a Royal Charter. Revised Rules adopted 12th May. The Society accorded charitable status, charity number 294638, 5th August. First edition of newsletter Chivalry produced.
1988 - Formation of Knights' sunfund for individuals or families suffering hardship or distress and for which no other funds are available. HRH Princess Michael of Kent honoured the Society with her presence at a dinner at Plaisterers' Hall.
1989 - Formation of the Scottish Division of the Society under the chairmanship of Sir Maxwell Harper Gow.
1990 - HM The Queen honoured the Society with her presence at a reception at St James's Palace.
1992 - HRH The Duchess of Gloucester honoured the Society with her presence at the Annual Service of Dedication and the reception which followed at The Butchers' Hall.
1993 - HRH The Duchess of Kent honoured the Society with her presence at the Annual Service of Dedication.
1994 - HRH The Princess Royal honoured the Society at an annual Dinner at The Savoy.
1996 - The Queen honoured the Society with her presence at a service at the church of St Bartholomew-the-Great when the ceremonial sword ‘Chivalry' was consecrated by the Prelate and received by Her Majesty. HM was the Society's guest at a reception at the Butchers' Hall.
1999 - The Banner of the Imperial Society was consecrated by the Prelate, and subsequently hung in the Knights' Chapel.
2000 - A new cross and candlesticks were consecrated by the Prelate and placed on the altar in the Knights' Chapel in the presence of HRH Princess Alexandra GCVO who was accompanied by the Hon Sir Angus Ogilvy KCVO .
HM The Queen signing the Register of Knighthood after the Annual Knights' Service in 1996.